What to consider before buying
You have a lot to consider when evaluating health insurance plans. It’s best to start with an understanding of your healthcare needs. By answering questions about your budget, your health, your lifestyle, and your preferred insurance provider, you’ll be ready to make an informed decision about your coverage.
Checklist: Four things to consider
How much do you spend on healthcare?
- What do you currently pay for insurance each month?
- Do you maintain a savings account to pay for unplanned medical expenses?
- How much did you spend on healthcare last year, including prescriptions?
- Are you eligible to receive financial assistance to lower the cost of health insurance premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenses?
How does your health affect your healthcare needs?
- How many times did you see doctors or specialists last year?
- Do you have any pre-existing or known medical conditions?
- Do you use tobacco?
- Do you currently take any prescription medications?
- Do you have any preferred doctors or hospitals?
Who in your household needs health insurance?
- Do you need coverage for just you or for your family?
- Are you between jobs and only need short-term coverage?
- Do you need coverage outside of the state or outside of the country?
What do you need to know about a health insurance company?
- What is their reputation?
- How long have they been in business?
- Is your doctor in their network?
- Does your family, friends or doctor recommend them?
- What do their customers say about their plans and services?
- What is their customer satisfaction rating?
- Do they have tools and resources to help you manage your healthcare?
View as printable PDF
Personalized health coverage recommendations
Our virtual plan advisor can help you identify your healthcare needs in 10 minutes or less. Get started!